Maldet is a malware detector and scanner for Linux based servers a project designed by R-fx networks project. It can be installed on shared hosting servers like cPanel WHM and linux plesk servers which works along with Clamav tool.
1. Download & Install Maldet –
tar -xzvf maldetect-current.tar.gz
2. Go to the maldetect directory and run the installer script ‘install.sh’ as root:
3. Next, make a symlink to the maldet command in the /bin/ directory.
ln -s /usr/local/maldetect/maldet /bin/maldet
4. Configure Maldet, Install Nano editor if its not installed ( yum install nano ) –
5. Enable email alert by changing the value to ‘1’.
6. Set your email address .
We will use the ClamAV clamscan binary as default scan engine because it provides a high-performance scan on large file sets. If its not installed you can install it using ( yum -y install clamav clamav-devel ) then update using ( freshclam ) command.
7. Change value to ‘1’ on line 114 – scan_clamscan=”1″
8. Next, enable quarantining to move malware to the quarantine automatically during the scan process. Change value to ‘1’ on line 180 – quarantine_hits=”1″
9. Change value to 1 on line 185 to enable clean based malware injections – quarantine_clean=”1″
10. Save and exit.
Use Real-Time Monitoring with Maldet for active monitoring.
The inotify monitoring feature is designed to monitor paths/users in real-time for file creation/modify/move operations. This option requires a kernel that supports inotify_watch (CONFIG_INOTIFY) which is found in kernels 2.6.13+ and CentOS/RHEL 5 by default.
There are three modes that the monitor can be executed with and they relate to what will be monitored, they are USERS|PATHS|FILES.
e.g: maldet –monitor users
e.g: maldet –monitor /root/monitor_paths
e.g: maldet –monitor /home/mike,/home/ashton